What is EPIC?
Effective Practice and Idea Collection (EPIC) was created in late 2009, as a response to how community foundations could reach the “next level”. The next level referred to going beyond the minimum regulations, which were laid out in the National Standards for Community Foundations. Today, hundreds of community foundations now follow the standards and have earned the right to publicize the achievements to all. EPIC is essentially the framework of how community foundations can go beyond the scope of minimal and strive for excellence in the execution of essential functions of a community foundation.
Note that this website does not constitute legal or accounting advice. This website is a tool for community foundations. Remember for proper advice always refer to your legal or accounting counsel. Additionally, laws governing community foundations vary state to state.
How to Use This Website
Please refer to Help With the Website for more detailed instructions.
This website is a combination of:
- The EPIC Resource Guide
- Online Assessment Process
- Online Assessment Review and/or Download of Questions & Answers
Online Assessment Process:
The intent of the assessment process is to make it easy for a community foundation to determine it’s members level of understanding of the organization. When all members use the same “Foundation ID” for completing assessments, the results can be reviewed and download as a whole. Please refer to Help With the Website – category “Assessment Process”, Take the assessments as part of a group.
Important: In order to have access to the unit/chapter assessment question & answer pages, two things are required:
- You must sign up as a participant (EPIC sends the participant an email).
- You must enter the EPIC website via the “private link” in the participant’s sign-up email. Note: By going directly to the website, you will NOT have access to the assessments.
Two ways to access your assessments:
- Recommended: Click menu item “Explore EPIC Resource Guide”, then the unit & chapter desired. If you have entered the EPIC website via your sign-up email’s “private link”, a link to the assessment page will be displayed.
- Additional: From menu item “Quick Links to Assessments”. This menu item only appears when you have entered the EPIC website via your sign-up email’s “private link”. It is a drop-down that can be used to quickly access any assessment.
Online Assessment Review and/or Download of Questions & Answers
The assessments can be viewed/download by individual or by group (“Foundation ID”).
Two ways to view/download assessments:
- By individual participant: In order to view/download an individual participant’s assessments, you must know the 5-character code located at the end of the participant’s “private link”.
- By group: In order to view/download a group’s assessments, you must know the “Foundation ID” used by the members of the group. Please refer to Help With the Website – category “Assessment Process”, Take the assessments as part of a group.
- If the common “Foundation ID” was not used by a participant of a group, the assessment won’t be included when viewing or downloading the group’s assessments.
- You do NOT have to enter the EPIC website via the “private link” in order to view/download the assessment data.
Taking The Assessments
Registering as an Assessment Participant
In order to complete the assessments, you must register as a participant on the Sign-up to Take Assessments / Retrieve Sign-up Email page. After the registration is submitted, an email be send to your email address, which includes a link back to the website. This process essentially lets you complete your assessments and stores the answers. Note: The “Sign-up to Take Assessments / Retrieve Sign-up Email” page clears the “private link” from EPIC. If you open this page, you will need to enter via your sign-up email’s “private link” again.
Lost email that includes the assessment link information
If you lose the email that contains the private link, go back to the Sign-up to Take Assessments / Retrieve Sign-up Email page and click the button to resend the email to you again. Note: The “Sign-up to Take Assessments / Retrieve Sign-up Email” page clears the “private link” from EPIC. If you open this page, you will need to enter via your sign-up email’s “private link” again.
Important note about the assessment process
If you close out of your browser, or close the website, you may have to click the “private link” in your email again. The site only keeps a participant’s private link active during the current browser session.